Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 2: Yummy Goodies




Today's special designer is Sandy Gervais of Pieces From My Heart. Go and check out what she's cooked up for today! Her free project is darling! Remember too to comment on each of our blogs at least once during the blog hop to be eligible for the grand prizes. There will be gift bags filled with goodies from us!

1st place -  gift bag worth $ 250
2nd place - gift bag worth $ 70
3rd place - gift bag worth $ 40

My Mom enjoys to bake. I didn't really inherit that gene because I take after my Dad in that I enjoy cooking more than I enjoy baking. I have started baking a little bit more now that I have my own family. I enjoy baking sugar cookies with the kids and I love making this cranberry banana loaf because it is so easy to make and the loaf is so yummy when you eat it while it is still warm. I like to make an extra loaf for friends and I especially love to design packaging for the loaves. This year, I designed easy and bright little tags for the loaves. I wrapped them in a paper bag [and parchment paper] and tied the tag with a little baker's twine. So fun, don't you think? I drew up the tags for you and put it in a little .pdf file for you to use. You can use the tags on almost anything. Let me know what you think!

*I couldn't help myself. I was playing around with the tags and thought that you'd like to see them. [Don't forget that all printers and monitors vary in color!]


Gift Tags 
Cranberry Banana Loaf 




Yesterday, I talked about how we had seafood for Christmas dinner. We'd have squid, octopus, shrimp or clams. Delicious! One of the dishes that is versatile and popular in Cantonese cuisine is Clams with Black Bean Sauce. You can substitute mussels here too if you wish. It is easy to make and the ingredients are fairly easy to get in Asian markets. If you can't get the salted black beans, you can probably buy a jar of black bean sauce in the International aisle of your local supermarket. Please remember that I am not a chef and that I am one of those cooks who doesn't usually measure anything. I tried my best here but feel free to adjust to your taste.

Clams With Black Bean Sauce 

Enjoy!