Friday, October 03, 2008

A visit to Ottawa

I was in Ottawa this summer and we stayed at the Chateau Laurier. I grew up near Ottawa though I never visited this city much because my parents didn't like it. It didn't matter that Ottawa was only 1 1/2 hours away and Toronto was more like 5 hours away. They just like the cosmopolitan flair and diversity of Toronto and we owned a house there.

I have spent time in Ottawa for various reasons in the past year and have enjoyed visiting. The Museum of Civilization in Gatineau, Quebec has always been a favorite architectural site for me to visit. It is located across the river from Ottawa. I took the kiddos here while Reno attended a conference.



The Chateau Laurier is a beautiful, historic building beside the Parliament building in downtown Ottawa. The kiddos want to stay at the "castle" again very soon.

This is the backside of the parliament buildings taken outside of the Museum of Civilization across the river. It is so pieceful on this side because there is a waterfall along the side of the building and you have this spectacular view of the Parliament buildings and these sculptures.


I managed to visit Quilty Pleasures in Orleans. It is a beautiful shop and the gals there are super talented and terrific. I spent some time there and my boys entertained themselves by photographing their Yoshi plush toy [from Nintendo] throughtout the shop. Look at the wonderful book cover that Sam made from "Cool Girls Quilt". Here are the fine ladies, Sam, Leslie and Val from the shop and Michele is a fan of mine [so nice to meet you!].


Sam made this wonderful notebook cover from my "Cool Girls Quilt" book. She studied baking and perhaps the next time I go there I will have to get her to bake some delicious cake for me!


Here's Michele showing off her beautiful work. She's so fun and energetic. I'm sure that all of her students love taking classes with her.

Adam got hooked on poutine. Yum! French fries, cheese curds, and gravy. What more do you want? I prefer the ones from New York Fries but in a pinch, any kind of poutine is fine with me. Oh dear, this can't be good for the cholesterol levels.


When the Better Homes and Gardens folks came to my home this spring I think that they were surprised by the neutral colors in my home. I love color but my co-inhabitants wouldn't go for the following:

I loved these two window displays. I would die for this chair and then regret it after a week because it would turn black, purple and blue from footprints, and popsicle stains. Sigh!

One can only dream and wish!